Roger E. Reynolds (1936–2014)
Professor Reynolds (A.B., Harvard; J.D., Chicago; Ph.D., Harvard) taught liturgy at Carleton University in Ottawa before coming to the Institute in January 1977 as a Visiting fellow in liturgy. He was elected Senior Fellow of the Institute in March of that year and taught in the fields of liturgy, law, and history in the graduate programmes of the Institute and the Centre for Medieval Studies at the University of Toronto, serving terms as academic secretary in both the Centre and the Institute. Professor Reynolds also served as a supervisor in the Institute’s postdoctoral L.M.S. programme, and in the dozen years since his retirement in 2002 he has continued to serve as an advisor and participant in the academic programme and as an editor of Monumenta Liturgica Beneventana, the major research programme he set up at the Institute in 1988 with Professors Virginia Brown (†2009) and Richard Gyug, with grants from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada.
During his many years of service teaching and supervising and his administrative work at the Institute, his individual research and group research projects resulted in an extensive list of publications, many of which are listed at the end of the collection of studies presented to him in 2004 by his former students and other colleagues, Ritual, Text, and Law, ed. Kathleen G. Cushing and Richard F. Gyug (Ashgate). Through his research, teaching, and election to the boards of dozens of leading academic societies and publications, as well as his work bringing his scholarly interests to the attention of the wider community, he has made a lasting contribution to scholarship and will be remembered with gratitude by his many colleagues throughout the world.